Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spice Chart

Today I put together a preliminary chart of spices I have and/or commonly use. If you're curious whether you should purchase a particular spice ("What would I use this for? Will I ever use it again?"), you can use this chart to figure that out.

That's the idea, anyway. It's in draft mode. Any feedback (other major cuisines, usage in existing cuisines) is appreciated. I tried to group major types of cuisines together, but it's difficult, as there is some crossover, or uniqueness for a country or region inside of a country. Also, I haven't made many dishes other than Indian, Mexican, and American, so it's not completely filled out. I'm planning on doing some research on this and updating it at some point in the future.

I've also listed some substitutions for certain spices (some information from The Food Substitutions Bible). Keep in mind that these will change the flavor of a dish.

The X indicates it's used in that cuisine. An asterisk means it's used extensively in that cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment